- TUBULAR ELECTRONICS MAGAZINE HOME (BACK) -

Rufus P. Turner's Capacity Operated Relay project

Rufus P. Turner's Capacity Operated Relay project

Postby te-admin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:42 pm

This is the one I built in 1959 and I can attest to its excellent performance.

It was on display in 1959 at John Marshall Junior high School (Seattle, WA) in a student science project display in the front foyer. A small catnip mouse was driven out of a hole by a solenoid when you put your hand near the glass. There was the usual outline of a hand on a piece of paper taped to the glass, and some foil for an antenna behing the paper.

This same capacitance (capacity) operated relay project won me an honorable mention at a science fair in 1959 at Punahou School in Honolulu,HI. In this application a coin was placed on a small metal chassis which served as the antenna. Mounted in the chassis, and powered by a 6 volt battery were a red and a green pilot lamp. The object was to pick up the coin before the light changed from green to red.

Comments on this acticle are welcome.
te-admin
Site Admin

Re: Rufus P. Turner's Capacity Operated Relay project

Postby te-admin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Actually the 6CU5, 6 volt equivalent to the 50C5/50B5 is on sale for $1.00 each at the Tube Center until 12/31/2010. http://www.thetubecenter.com/dollardeals.html

From the same dealer, a 50B5 is $3.00, and a 50C5 is $5.00.

Using a larger filament transformer and the 6 volt version of this tube knocks almost 10 watts off the power consumption.

A suitable transformer would be a Triad F16X, Mouser #553-F16X, at $12.51 or a Hammond 166M6, at $17.28 from DigiKey.
te-admin
Site Admin

Return to Build A Capacitance Operated Relay